Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Day 2!

I'm quitting soda again. It's sort of like quitting smoking for people who smoke, I think. I've never smoked, but I've heard from friends why it is so hard. I have friends who offer me a Pepsi. I have parents who keep the fridge stocked with Dr. Pepper, my favorite. I am surrounded by sodas when we go out to eat. IT IS EVERYWHERE! I am strong willed, but there is only so much you can take when you are fighting addiction and peer influence.

So last week and the week before I took a long, rolling tumble off the bandwagon, and now I am trying to climb back on. The nasty chemical taste, shakes, and lack of energy weren't quite enough to propel me up into the wagon bed, but then there is my son... 7 months old, he wants everything we have, and he was reaching, reaching for every sip of soda I took. I can't get him attached to this crap, too. Not to say I will ban soda; I think that I should teach him to make a good choice on his own. But my son does not need to see me downing a liter or two a day. *gag, shudder*

I seriously don't even LIKE it, but I want it. Yesterday I had immense cravings and a headache. Today I am exhausted. I could hardly get out of bed, and even though I've been up for hours, I still want to go back.

I really don't even like it, I swear! It takes away my appetite until I don't eat anything, it makes good food taste like crap, and it wreaks havoc with my body. I used to drink it all the time as a kid... I would have 5-6 cans EVERY DAY, and hardly eat anything. A doughnut for breakfast, no lunch, and some chili that was probably MORE THAN 50% cheese for dinner, or ramen if we ran out of cheese. I ate like that for months. No wonder quitting is so hard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't drink soda. It's not good for the body. But I have to say, I miss the 'soda burp'.

Anonymous said...

I'm also trying to quit soda. Some days are better than others, but It's 5pm and I just realized I haven't touched any today. I do believe that's a first! Good luck to you!

Dionne Obeso said...

I fell off the wagon already, but I am on day 2... er... again.

Anonymous said...

You can do it! One thing that helps me is to ban myself from negative thinking. If I let myself feel like I've failed, I get into a rut and the wagon is so far ahead of me I feel like I'll never get back on.

I have been having more than my share of Crystal Light packets. If it weren't for those, I think I'd have failed miserably. I make myself alternate between yummy Crystal Light and blah plain water.

Dionne Obeso said...

Thank you! I can't do the juice route. That's what I usually use to quit, but I'm just subbing one kind of sugar for another, and that isn't good. I've been drinking lots of water, trying to watch my milk intake, and drinking tea whenever I want. It has "good caffeine" or is harder to absorb or something like that, and it also tastes better, to me, than water. Mmmmm, Earl Gray....

I've also decided to take it slow. Instead of quitting soda for now, I am simply quitting paying for it. If someone offers me some, I can sip away... for now.